Paper: The Bridgeport Post City: Bridgeport, Ct Date: Monday, January 24, 1955 Page: 15 Home-Made Bomb Or Meteorite, Fireball Explodes In His Home PHILADELPHIA - Jan. 24. - (AP) Wasit the first meteorite to reach earth aflamo o was it a home-made bomb? Whatever it was, William C.Cunningham, 52, will tell you it was mighty hot. He was standing in his bedroom in suburben Darby township yesterday when he heard a crash of glass and turned and saw a fireball, about the size of a grapefruit, bounce off an oil heater to the floor. Then it exploded. His first through was to throw the object out the window. Cottingham said: "It was hot and heavy and as he threw it, it blazed up and seemed to disintegrate. Some of it landed on the bed and exploded again." Cunningham's right hand was burned almost to the bone. If the projectile had been blasted off a comet, two prominent Philadelphia astronomers said, it would be the first in history to reach the ground still aflame. Fire Marshal Francis J. Joseph of Delaware county said it might have been a meteorite. He tested it with a 1,700 degree flame from a propane torch but the object only glowed. He got no reaction with a magnet. However, Dr. C. P. Olivier emeritus professor of astronomy at the University of Pennsylvania,, and Dr. I. M. Levitt, director of Fels Planetarium, both expressed doubt that it was a meteorite. Dr. Oliver said: "From everything that I have been told by the firemen and the fact that the object came through the window at an angle instead of through the roof, I believe it may have been a home-made bomb." Dr. Levitt said most meteorites burned themselves out before they hit the ground and exploded when they were about 10 to 35 miles away from earth.